Tuesday, October 16, 2018

NOLA Eats!

I've never been to New Orleans. It's always been a city I wanted to experience since I was in my early twenties. Back then, it was to experience Mardi Gras, but as I got older I started to read about the French Quarters, the amazing food, and the people of New Orleans that make it so unique. 

So when I was presented with the opportunity to visit, whether it was by invite or not ;-), I jumped on the opportunity to finally experience the city, food and culture. Full disclosure, I had nothing to do with the planning of this trip or where we got to eat. I left that in the very capable hands of my bff Natara, as we both have a love for food! 

We arrived by plane to MSY - Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport early Friday morning by 8:30am. This was on purpose so we can have three breakfast meals during this long weekend trip. Who can pass up the opportunity to have breakfast in NOLA? 

When you leave the airport there is a distinct smell to NOLA. It's not offensive but it isn't exactly pleasant either. Once I got over the scent we grabbed a cab from the airport to our beautiful hotel, The Omni Riverfront (Note: You don't need to rent a car. Think of being in NYC except in the South). 

Once we got to our hotel, bright an early, they had a room ready for us, which never happens, so we were able to drop off our stuff and grab a cab to our first breakfast spot of the weekend - The Ruby Slipper! 

If you've never been, make sure you have the YELP app so you can put your name on the waiting list because there WILL be a wait! If you don't do this prior to getting there, they have servers that come out regularly asking if you want a beverage which I'll highly recommend because the wait seems to fly by while you're drinking. 

The Ruby Slipper is a casual diner with a NOLA flare that serves Southern gastropub like cuisines. I ordered the Peacemaker - a pick two option of the eggs Benedict and the Pancake flight, a trio of pancakes of different flavors! The biscuits here are amazing and that was the base of the Eggs Benedict. Whether the biscuit is on its own or laden with eggs, meats and cheeses, those biscuits are worth the calories!


After Breakfast we Uber'd to our second event of the day, Le Musee De F.P.C. - Museum of Free People of Color. The ladies here are rich in knowledge of New Orleans history. Their degree of historical data kept in their head along with the artifacts, paintings both past and present, that represent NOLA is incomparable to anyone I've ever met. 

It's impressive to hear them recite history as they go through each room and the meaning of what that room represents or the significance of a piece. If you want to really get to know NOLA, you need to stop by here and learn. It will give an appreciation for the city that you've never experienced before. Thank you for the experience and knowledge ladies! I appreciate you most!
  
After the Museum we returned to our hotel taking a break in the lobby where cold fruit infused water was always ready for us! By this time, I was beat! As soon as we got to the room I passed out needing rest before our dinner reservations that evening. 

Friday evening we walked over to Emril's from our hotel. A few blocks was refreshing both before and after dinner. 

When you walk into Emril's there seems to be a staff member every five steps. The amount of "Welcome to Emril's" we received was a bit overwhelming. Our table was close to the kitchen where you can see the view of the Chef's table but not that close. 

The servers were great, attentive and accommodating. 
As an appetizer I order the mussels with crispy rice balls in Thai sauce. there was also a tuna ball that I could have lived without but nonetheless, it was there and it was eaten. I loved the  crispy rice balls with the thai sauce. It was savory and had the perfect blend of thai spices without being too overwhelming. 

For dinner I had Shrimp and Grits. This is a dish I like to order when it's available. I like to compare this dish from restaurant to restaurant. 

At Emril's, there is no surprise that the size of the shrimp is impressive. Heads and tails still on the shrimp which I can appreciate as I like to suck the juices out of it's head and eat the leftover meat inside. However the grits were clumpy. Not the best I've had. The sauce was okay, the base seemed more acidic than for my taste and there was a lot of it which, for me, was overpowering. 
On a scale of 1-10, I'd rank a solid 7 on the shrimp and grits scale in comparison to those I've had in the past. What really captured my taste buds was the Pork Chop. Mama Williams ordered this dish and we all had a taste of it. It was perfectly seasoned, temp and consistency was amazing! Definitely a dish to be ordered if you go here. 


Second day in NOLA, we planned on going to Mother's for breakfast but having heard from the locals, we were advised otherwise, so we changed course mid Uber and went to Surrey's. 

Surrey's is a tiny house cafe serving fresh squeezed juices and a variety of breakfast/lunch items. I ordered the corned beef hash and we ordered the banana fosters french toast for the table to share. 

I'm Filipina, so corned beef hash is something we do often and well. I can say Surrey's version isn't something I would order again just because I have a different version in my head of what it should be and unfortunately I compared. BUT! The Banana Fosters French Toast is TO DIE FOR! I literally have dreams of this dish. Locals that live in NOLA, I envy you! I wish I can go there once a week and chow down on some banana fosters french toast! YOU MADE MY LIFE with that dish! Thank you!


After Surrey's we headed to our second destination, French Quarters Phantom Tours to partake in the cemetery tour. Our self proclaimed #handsometourguide was also very knowledgeable on NOLA history. What he was really great at is delivering the history with consideration to the citizens (both past and present) making light, in a respectful way, the equality issues that are happening today, and providing great details of why people are buried above ground in NOLA 😮!  The cemetery was very interesting. Knowing the process, the famous people buried there, and those who will be buried there are all things you will uncover on this tour which I will highly recommend!

 What was really interesting about NOLA that I learned on this tour is that drinking while on the tour is highly encouraged :-)! It may be just this tour groups way of making you feel the NOLA hospitality or it's a thing. Either way, use Phantom's for fun yet insightful tours. 

After the tour we were sent on our way which we happily did due to exhaustion, we Uber'd to the hotel, taking in our fruity water, and ordering room service, a nice blend of charcuterie goodness and garlic toast to fill our bellies while we wait for dinner.

On this eve, we partook on the unique cuisines of Cochon! Here, we were able to consume the game. I had the special of the day, Grilled Cobia over grits and curried pumpkin. I didn't taste the flavor of the curried pumpkins but the Cobia was good and the grits here were a better consistency. If fish isn't your thing perhaps rabbit dumplings, fried liver with pepper jelly, or pork cheek! At Cochon, prepare to experience a different type of meal that will ultimately leave you satisfied. 

We opted out of dessert here with the anticipation of having dessert at the infamous Cafe Du Monde. If you've never been and have never seen pictures, like me, let me be the first to tell you that the Cafe is not what you expect it to be. Once you get past the outdoor New Orleans crowd and lack of cleanliness, you'll also have to have patience in order to be served. We were able to grab a table immediately upon entering the court but it took 25 minutes before someone acknowledged our existence. When they did, it took five minutes for them to get our beignets and coffee. I'm no expert but the beignet was as expected and the coffee was pretty good. If you go to Cafe Du Monde, I recommend going at night when the wait is minimal. If you go in the morning be prepared to stand in a line that can be pretty obscene. 

Last day we had brunch at Muriel's. Muriel's is known for their Sunday Brunch. We had the wild mushroom gnocchi which was FANtabulous! Our server Michael was a peach! I could take him with me to be my personal sunshine and pick me up. I also had the Eggs Veney which was good but I was still hung up on the wild mushroom gnocchi to want to take in anything else until dessert. We shared the bread pudding without nuts and this piece of heaven is everything! 
It was sweet but not too sweet. The consistency of the bread pudding was almost cake like but dense and rich with flavor. 

The best part of Muriel's is the live music and clearly the highlight of the weekend for me. The upright bass player also sang and his deep tones were a pleasure to listen to. The clarinet player was perfect! I love hearing the sounds of the clarinet but having that instrument played well is such a treat. And the guitar player was endearing. You can hear the skills in his fingertips as his quickly and skillfully strummed his guitar. You can see the joy of playing music together on each musicians face and the fact that they were bringing their art and enjoyment to each of us as patrons of Muriel's was as exciting for them as it was for all of us. 

Occasionally they stopped to play happy birthday to an individual but mostly they played songs that were known or unknown. It didn't really matter because it was such a beautiful experience that I want to go again the next time I get to visit.

To anyone visiting NOLA, take the time to get to know what the city's about beyond it's festive nights and spirits. Be open minded to the unexpected  and get to know their kind people, rich culture and delicious foods. For me, I know I will need to visit NOLA a few more times to experience what I didn't get to on this trip and I look forward to the next time I'm able to visit! 







No comments:

Post a Comment