Friday, March 13, 2020

Elixir for food?

And so it begins. 
For over a year Jimmy and Dave have told me of the best wings and patty melt in our city. Having a limited scope of patty melts, only having the burger served on toast as a fast food option, it isn’t my go to option when ordering out. Today was the day I try it at restaurant (Elixir not exactly being a restaurant but not exactly not being a restaurant) and not through a drive through window. 

Before I get to food let me tell you about Elixir. Elixir is an establishment in downtown Orlando off of Washington and Orange. My whole life I’ve associated Elixir to a place where you gather with people socially, drink and be merry. I’ve only been to Elixir one other time for a going away party for a friend. Other than that, my limited knowledge of this place was radio ads and word of mouth of a place you can hang out and drinks spirits.

Jimmy always told me that Elixir has the best wings and after our last experience with a similar establishment in South Florida (review - Tap42) I became really curious if all of the like should be created equal. I’m happy to announce that they should not!
Elixir has a similar feel, lots of wood, full length bar, indoor and outdoor seating. Nothing glamorous but comfortable. A place you can feel you can relax without judgement. We were concerned if our daughter could come with us to dinner due to its night time festivities, but when we got there we were relieved to see children in the courtyard eating with their families!

Now let’s get to food! That’s why you come here right?

I ordered the patty melt with fries. Jimmy had the wings with medium hot wing sauce and Phyre ordered the flatbread with shrimp. Now that I’ve recovered from my cold, it was fair game to try everyone’s food as I like to do when I go out to eat. Jimmy and I agreed to swap half of my patty melt for four of his wings! This allowed me to fully embrace the flavors of the food I was about to partake in. 😉  I did not get to eat Phyre’s flatbread but I assumed it was delicious since she ate all of it.

I tried the wings first. It was well seasoned with medium spiced hot wing sauce. As far as hot wing sauce goes, Jimmy said the temperature was accurate but I would call their medium, my mild. Still it was flavorful but there wasn't a uniqueness to the hot sauce that differentiated it from any other wing sauce I've had. The chicken was cooked thoroughly and it wasn’t dry! I would have preferred a little more crisp to it but overall it was pretty well done. Far better than the other establishment😒.

The patty melt is served on thick slices of grilled sour dough bread with their signature house aioli, melted cheddar and Fontina cheese, with the signature caramelized onions on top of a beef patty.
The bread was perfectly crispy and not soggy, the combination of caramelized onions and their house aioli gave a sweet and slightly sour flavor that paired well with the cheeses! Overall the first bite was delightful! A very enjoyable experience that I ate my half and a quarter of Jimmy’s because it was that good! I tend to not like thick slices of bread. It’s a personal preference but this patty melt is well worth the calories!

Having experienced Elixir now as a food venue, I look forward to trying something new the next time I visit and you should too!



No comments:

Post a Comment